Old July 31st 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

Default Feral cat visitor with fur problem

On 7/30/2014 5:06 AM, AL_n wrote:

PS - I have posted three photos of the cat and his fur he

http://www.aalife.com/index.html

.........My first guess is fleas or some other parasite. Has he always
looked this way (and maybe it's getting better?) or is this recent?

.........His teeth seem to indicate he's young, so I wouldn't think it
would be hyperthyroidism, which causes thinning of hair in a Xmas tree
pattern above tail.

.........I would work on the petting to get him tamed down. If you can
only stroke lightly now, keep doing that, only more slowly and then put
a bit of pressure in your hand, continuing on down the whole body and
stroking his tail too. Once he's used to that, stroke the sides, front
to back. Eventually you'll be able to get both hands in there. Slowly
move a hand up to head and scratch under chin. I don't think there's a
cat in the world that can resist that! Does he purr when you pet him?

..........Looks like he's been in some scrapes as his one ear is pretty
tattered. If you can get him tamed down you can get him neutered, which
will cut down on injury from cat fights........and kittens.

buglady
take out the dog before replying