Old December 12th 13, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Halogen oven (OT)

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Haven't used it yet but it doesn't seem the quality of my last one. I
reserve judgment on it until I've used it. I'm sure it will be fine.
For one or two people, a halogen oven will save a whole lot of power but
you
do need to experiment with it and get used to it. It's not the same as
cooking in a conventional oven.

What are the advantages of a halogen oven vs. a microwave? Does the food
taste better cooked in the oven? (Once you stop burning it, that is? )

The advantage is that you can do everything in a halogen oven that you can
do in a conventional oven, quicker. Not really so with microwaves.

I'm surprised that a halogen oven takes less energy than a conventional
one, since halogen lamps are such energy hogs.

They are around 1400w - my big oven is 3000w and takes an age to heat to
temperature and the halogen takes no time at all. Plus they cook very
quickly. A whole chicken is done in an hour. Nice crispy skin. They are
ideal for a single person or a couple, IMO. I certainly noticed a reduction
in my electricity bill when I got one. I do still use my big oven for
Sunday meals with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings as I haven't
worked out how to do that in the halogen but I wouldn't be without one now.
Power prices are huge here now so anything that saves it is good.

Tweed