Old February 2nd 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Default How to care for a long-haired cat?

On Jan 31, 1:48 pm, Chris ] wrote:
We have been adopted by a stray long-haired cat - and we don't know how
to care for him properly.

His hair is so long that he can't groom himself - and when we took him
over we had to get him shaved by the vet.
He's now getting matted again. We took him to a professional groomer ,
who took two hours and still didn't finish - and the cat seemed
distressed by the procedure.

What should we do?

You could keep his hair cut in a "lion cut" style, where the body is
mostly shaved but the head and tail still have fur. A good groomer
should be able to cut a lion cut style in much less than two hours.
Here's a page with some photos of cats with lion cuts: http://
community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/lioncut/

I also echo what Mike said about the zoom groom. It's a handy "brush"
that's available online or in most pet stores.

Rene