Old March 29th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default declaw or not to declaw?

"Annie" wrote in message
wrote in news:47eeab6f$0$36393
:

Annie wrote:

i appreciate the link but i dont appreciate the name-

calling
and the personal attacks from you and from other people

my vet said declawing should be the last resort and i

have
tried everything else so it is the last resort

What have you tried? (Seriously, I want to know. There may

be some
things you haven't tried yet.)

Joyce

ive covered up the furniture and put out a scratching post
and a flat board with carpet on it

i tried catching mitzi scratching the furniture and moving
her to the cat post or the board and encouraging her to use
it

when that didnt work i tried yelling no and then moving her
when that didnt work i tried a squirt gun
when that didnt work i tried clipping her nails short

i understand she has to scratch but i cant seem to train her
to scratch in a safe place

ive really tried hard to avoid declawing her but it seems
that mitzi is very stubborn

So what will be your 'last resort' solution if having Mitzi's toes amputated
doesn't solve your problem? That is a fair question and not meant to be
hostile.

Quite some years ago when declawing cats was still somewhat acceptable for
the mainstream, my sister had a very pretty Persian cat. It was tearing up
the furniture so they had it declawed. It came home from the vet and
proceeded to take a dump in the middle of the new comforter on their bed.

Next stop was the shelter, where hopefully it found a new home since it was
a beautiful cat. new home that now has to deal with nastier problems than
scratching the furniture.

Cats scratch. If you can't deal with that you do not love the cat as much
as you think you do.

And now I will shut up since the subject does stir up things here and draw
trolls, even if you aren't one. Just once in a while it doesn't hurt to set
the record straight.

BTW, I thought we all agreed that spay and neuter is good and declaw is bad
and didn't need discussed. That neither was still up for debate. Anyone
opposed on those matters wasn't really welcome. Loophole for ethical
breeders like Lois who has such beautiful kittens.

Indoor/outdoor couldn't be agreed on nicely so we agreed to disagree
silently.

Jo