Old March 27th 15, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M[_3_]

Default wrestling

"John Doe" wrote in message
dgk wrote:

John Doe write:

I've always enjoyed wrestling (real wrestling, not professional
wrestling). The newcomer female is bigger than my male. And she is
a bully. Now they are warming up to each other, they are
frequently wrestling. Most of it is friendly, but sometimes they
get rough. He is probably in it for the pussy, but she is a
relentless player. I love it. I will plan to keep their claws
clipped to keep the risk of injury down. And see how long it
lasts.

I can't get my cats to submit to having their claws clipped. I try
once in a while, and get a few, but they do a pretty good job on the
scratching posts so it really isn't necessary. Mostly I just leave
them alone.

Since cats shed their claws (husks), they will be very sharp immediately
after shedding.

At least up to this point, I haven't had to force the issue. I always go
in with the attitude that the job doesn't have to be completed in one
effort.

And more recently using a headlamp helps a lot. No more fiddling around
with a flashlight, you can see precisely what you're doing. Wearing a
headlamp might not look good to the cat but I wear it often enough now
that maybe they are getting used to it. Sometimes clipping their claws
is a struggle, but I try to go with the flow, like clipping their claws
while they are standing on their hind legs... Possibly helpful is to
clip them where they lie, especially if they were taking a nap. Talk
gently. That kind of thing. Sitting on them helps too. As everybody here
knows, if they think they are free to run, they will run. When it's
over, I soothe them and release them slowly.

Pit2nya is used to getting a 5 pouncy treat after the clipping.
She goes right to the spot the are given,
after being (a brat-cat while being) clipped