Old June 11th 05, 05:24 PM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Karen wrote:
in article , Smokie
Darling (Annie) at
wrote on 6/11/05 8:29AM:

Karen wrote:
I have NO idea what happened between noon and 6 pm today, but Pearl is
afraid of dishes! I went to feed her as usual and she was ultra cautious

snipped for brevity

This will sound stupid (I'm getting good at that), have you changed
your dish soap? Here is my experience with cats afraid of their food
dishes:

My Barnabus has a two sided dish, one side always has dry, the other
gets a bit of dry mixed with a teaspoon of tuna and hot water for
dinner. Every other day, I wash the dish out even though it never
appears dirty. I noticed that Barnabus started acting weird around his
dish (like you describe), and he's my big boy who adores his "stinky"
(what we call their food). Could not figure it out. My DH figured it
out. I had changed the dish soap I was using. I always rinsed really
well, but apparently the soap was leaving a "flowery" scent on the
porous plastic dish. I went back to the "old" dish soap and he was
fine again.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Hmm. I did indeed get a different kind, although, breakfast and a snackie at
lunch did not produce this behaviour and it was the same dish. I'll have to
switch back, but we have an appointment Mon. just to give her mouth a look
see and make sure nothing is up there.

I thought I had mentioned re-read my post... Oops blush... It
wasn't right away with Barnabus either, but a couple of days (couple of
washes). I think it must have "built up" the scent and put him off his
food (out of any dish that I had washed with the scented soap).

As to TED visit, very, very good. Just in case she did get something
(bug bite/sting) from her dish.

Smokie Darling (Annie) - who, it seems, would forget her head if it
weren't attached. Obviously forgot to put the brain in gear though
(sorry about that).