Old January 2nd 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

"Jill" wrote in message
ps.com...

If it was just the one closet door, I'd think there was something in
there he wanted. However, I moved his carrier in front of the door, so
he then moved to the 2nd closet door. If I shut him out of the
bedroom, he paws the bedroom door until I wake up and let him in. If I
move out to try and sleep on my living room couch, he paws the front
door or the entry way coat closet door.

I've tried everything from giving him a light swat on the butt and
telling him no TO tossing a shoe at the wall near him (NOT at him, to
try and scare him away from the door; he runs, but comes back a few
mins later) TO putting him in his carrier (which he just paws at the
carrier door which is more annoying)....

I don't know what else to try, but I'm EXHAUSTED after being woken up
constantly...He doesn't like to play during waking hours and again he's
not an affectionate cat (very independent).

Can anyone suggest another idea? I'd love to get some sleep tonight.

Besides opening all the doors, you could confine him to the room farthest
away from the one where you sleep while you are sleeping. If your place is
small (or even if not), get a large HEPA filter, floor model, and put it by
your bed. The sound will drown him out. (My declawed cat did this
to magazines and windows, anything smooth. I have no idea why. I
guess I lucked out because she did not do it at night.)