Old January 22nd 05, 12:30 AM
Cat Protector

Default Icarus & UTI

I previously posted about another topic regarding peeing inappropriate
places. I just had Icarus checked as it was originally thought he was
spraying as a result of territory dispute. The vet confirmed that he did
have UTI (although they did state that spraying or urinating in places other
than the litterbox doesn't always mean a cat has UTI) and he is going to be
on anti-biotics for a few weeks. He also has to be on a special diet as
well. The vet also instructed me that he also needs to be confined to a
separate room for a while with his own food, water, and litterbox. I put him
in the bedroom so he'd be at least a little more comfortable than a small
bathroom. I also had to put his food and water on top of a bureau so I
wouldn't have problems with ants. The cats will have the main room to sleep
in and also have the dining area to eat but no access to the bedroom. Once
his condition clears up they'll all be sharing everything.

I have decided to switch all the cats on the same food as a precaution.
Though they all did fine on the stuff I was feeding them I would rather
prevent the other cats from getting what Icarus has now. The UTI was caught
early which was a good thing. The vet was also good and was very patient
when handling Icarus because he's a fireball when it comes to doctors. The
vet didn't talk down to me and I actually got to be present when he was with
Icarus unlike others that make you wait in another room or only do the
initial exam in front of you. He also showed me the urine sample as well as
showed me under the microscope so I could see the crystals for myself. My
parents have been happy with this vet ever since they adopted their two dogs
(it seems Animal Control recommends them for the first free adoption exam).
At least this vet is better than the last one our family used.

Anyway, if you suspect UTI then get the cat checked out at the vet. Catching
the signs early can really be the best thing and you also avoid having the
cat worked on surgically which is a lot more expensive than the $140 I had
to pay (that included the exams, shots, urinalysis, anti-biotic shot, pills,
first bad of special diet food, and of course the liquid anti-biotic. As
high as the price was for me, it was a small price to pay for Icarus' well
being not to mention that I now have a good vet for my cats. I learned
something new as I was never faced with a cat having UTI before. The vet
said that if it wasn't caught early then it could have cost at least $300. I
guess I saved some money and also got Icarus the help he needs. Maybe he
might be a little calmer with other cats in the process.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com