Old June 9th 06, 03:14 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Dry food or tooth-brush? :-)

[Adapted from a different thread but I though the topic is important
enough to have its own thread.]

I am perplexed by how many intelligent-appearing people accept that
food should be used as tooth-brush in a cat's life. This despite the
fact that they probably rely on a toothbrush rather than pretzels to
clean their own teeth.

I got the same line pushed at me that dry food is good for a cat's
dental health. But having a brain that does work once in a while, :-) I
was forced to face the following simple question: Do I chew nuts to
clean my teeth or do I use a brush for that purpose?

So I got a little toothbrush for my cat and learned to brush her teeth.

It works a lot better than any dry food.

More importantly, it frees me to select her food based on nutritional
considerations alone.

By the way, nutrional considerations are difficult enough to satisy in
commercial food. Good protein source, seafood not too often, low carbs,
no wheat or corn gluten, low Phosphorous, etc., and then she has to
accept to eat it! I am still looking for a canned variety that would be
acceptable on all fronts.

But I am glad at least I don't have to worry about the food also
functioning as a toothbrush!