Old January 28th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Default New Female & 2 Existing Males - Please Help!

You need to isolate the new cat in a room by herself with bed, food, water,
and litter. Quietly sit inside the room with her and feed her. She will
gradually feel safe in the room and safe with you. Let the boys smell a
towel that has her smell on it. You must integrate her SLOWLY into your
household. She is very scared and this is why she is having this reaction.
Over time, you can open the door to the room and let her go outside of the
room by herself. Always supervise her and put her back into the room after a
time. Time and patience is the key. You are wonderful to take her in.
Gail
wrote in message
ups.com...
Last weekend I found a little female that was living outside and being
fed by a neighbor. That person didn't want to take her in even though
she was really sweet and let the woman pick her up. It was 20 degrees
F - I couldn't leave her out there so I took her in and then to the
vet. By Wednesday the vet had contacted someone based on her
microchip and determined no one wanted her.

I have had Calvin and Claude since they were 8 weeks old. While they
come from different litters, they are just like brothers. Both are
very laid back.

After getting her up to date with shots, I brought her home. It has
been crazy ever since. Cate, when alone is ok. She'll come sit on my
lap, purr like crazy and when she's really happy will curl over onto
her belly. But without warning she'll turn and hiss, bite or hit.
When she even thinks that she can sense the "boys" she is 10 times
worse. It has gotten to the point that I cannot even touch her
without a hiss and growl. I am scared to pet her. She wants to sit
on my lap but doesn't want to be pet.

My boys have seen her and do not really care. They sit by the door
and purr. She sits on the other side and just hisses and growls. The
boys interact with me like she isn't here - they smell her on me I
know but just let me pet them and treat them as normal. If she hisses
loudly, my shy guy (Claude) will hiss back but I haven't seen Cal or
Claude initiate anything. Everything I read says its the existing cat
that is the problem and the new cat will just adapt - this is the
exact opposite.

I went to the store today and got Feliway - lots of it. I use it when
going to the vet, but I bought two of those plug in versions - one in
the living room and one in her room (hall bathroom). I'm hoping the
Feliway will at least take the edge off.

What am I doing wrong here? I have NEVER had a cat on such a hair
trigger before. Before Cal and Claude, I had Boris who was 19 when he
passed. The only time Boris acted like this was when I was 8 and
accidentally shut his tail in the door.

Are there any recommendations for books or articles on how to gain a
cat's trust? I'm not sure how long she was outside, but she does know
how to use a litter box, eats well and uses the scratching post so she
was in a house environment for a while. I do not want to dump her
like everyone else has. I'm willing to be as patient as needed, but
I'd feel better if I had a bit of a game plan because playing by ear
isn't working so well.

Thanks!