Old June 26th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 12:38 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

On Jun 25, 9:15 am, nik Simpson wrote:

There's a dangerous assumption here, i.e. that choosing a relatively
simple password that is highly personal to you, is safe because nobody
would guess it unless they knew you and your personal information.
Folks, that's not how hackers break passwords, they don't go your login
and try to guess your password. They hack the website completely (a-la
Sony) grab the master password file & username list, and feed that data
to one or more computers to simply brute force decrypt the password
file, they don't need to know anything about you at all.

I've decided to use Lastpass and different long completely random
passwords for each website that I couldn't begin to remember. The only
password I have to remember is my Lastpass password, they handle the
rest. Granted, this relies on two things:

1. Nobody can guess my Lastpass password
2. Lastpass's security and encryption is good enough to prevent the
master password data falling into the wrong hands and being decrytped in
a useful amount of time.

So far it's working, but if you bank online or use credit cards online,
the watchword is vigilance ;-)

BTW, are you wondering if one of the recent hacks (Sony, Citicard, etc)
has compromised your password or email address? If not, you probably
should be, so check out this tool:

https://shouldichangemypassword.com/

It's legit and simply searches the data that has been leaked from sites
like Sony to see if your email address is in leaked data.
--
Nik Simpson

You are a reg here & that is the only reason I bother to once again
point out that this thread
was started by trolls and continued by both other trolls and the
drones here. You probably
did not notice that multiple crosspostings are in the header and you
crossposted this post
just like the trolls want you to. Check out the posted dates at the
very beginning of this thread.
Its a big joke to them. They dragged over here an old thread from rpcc
from a year ago.

It is not being helped by the poster Bill who is a total moron; who has
given out bad and dangerous advice on cats before in other groups.

I know, Matt, but there is one reason I have respect for Bill....and
only one, which
does nnot apply to the UK trolls participating: Bill, from what I can
archive, is a USA
military veteran I do not believe it was *his* notion to drag the old
rpcc thread here.

Sorry on this one no respect for him at all. He knows better but he is the
type that has to respond no matter what post it is. I should have him on
kill fill but due to his bad advice and dangerous advice before in other cat
groups. I watch him like a hawk. He is just a plain moron. He is such a
moron sometimes He responded to a spammer in another group that posted a
900 number lecturing the group on 900 numbers.