Old May 30th 05, 05:01 AM
Mary

Default Why Does She Love Cobwebs?

My cat Buddha hunts cobwebs. (Not that they are hard to find around here!)
She eats them with great relish when she finds them. She patrols the house
and scoops them out from under dressers etc.

I have never seen a cat do this. What interests me is that I know that
spider webs (as many of you probably know, "cob" is an old English term for
spider) have anticoagulant or anti-clotting properties. I guess it has
something to do with the function they serve for the spider.

The interesting thing is that she has hyperthyroid (controlled with pills)
and some sort of heart condition that causes arythmia (controlled with a
beta blocker). The vet told me that hyper-T cats often "throw clots" as he
put it.

Though it seems a stretch, I wonder if this is a case of her craving what
she needs. Anyone else have a cobweb-eating cat?