Old September 23rd 03, 02:32 AM
Steve Crane

(Liz) wrote in message . com...
That´s one expensive antibiotic! Recurring infections is a sign of
immune weakness, alkaline urine pH, and not enough urination. If he
were my cat, I would try to solve the problem with a high quality
canned diet (e.g. Wellness, Felidae, Wysong etc.), give him a raw
snack daily (beef or chicken), give him raw liver once a week and
supplement his diet with B vitamins. I would only resort to abx if
this didn´t work. Have you tried the online drugstores?

Not a good idea. The primary culprit in speeding the fatal end of the
disease is high levels of phosphorus. The addition of the meats and
foods above would push phos levels *way* beyond what is appropriate
for a CRF cat in ANY condition. The phos levels on the suggested foods
range from 4-8 times the proper level for a CRF kitty. Urine pH of
6.8-7.2 is APPROPRIATE for a CRF kitty and is part of the proper
treatment for the same.