Old June 19th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin[_2_]

Default Vets and Canadians

dgk wrote in
:

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:31:14 -0700, James
wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Rene S." wrote:
James wrote:
Do you get a annual checkup for yourself? Health insurance don't
include checkups. If you had to pay $40 for the MD to check an

itchy
insect bite, would you still go to the MD?

Do you drag your pet to the vet annually just for a checkup? Just
wondering how different Canadian vs American point of view on

vets.

My pussy only gets rabbies shots and no checkup. Except for spay

she
hasn't been to the vet.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but here goes. I get an
annual checkup for myself. My health insurance covers checkups to a
certain dollar amount. However, a couple of years, my previous
insurance did not cover checkups, but I paid out of pocket to go
anyway. Checkups are a small price to pay for overall health.

Yes, I "drag" my cats to the vet for annual checkups. One cat does

not
get vaccinated, due to having severe allergic reactions to the
vaccines, but he still gets bloodwork and an exam. The other cat

gets
vaccinated, but not as often due to recent studies (another topic).
Both are brought in if a medical problem comes up. I pay for this
myself, and do not hesitate to do so. I made a commitment to these
animals when I adopted them.

Where I was going is trying to get a feel of how many people like
cindys for example would bring their pets to vet more often that their
own visits to the MD.

Also a bit OT is if people go to MD's needlessly. I already know that
people demand antibiotics needlessly resulting in superbugs.

Cats age quicker than humans so it stands to reason that they need
more checkups in a similar time frame. Mine are young so I do only
bring them once a year but that will increase as they get into senior
years.

What kind of health insurance doesn't cover routine physical exams?
Doesn't the Canadian system cover them?

yes annual exams are covered - only 1 per year. The original poster was
misinformed.

Bobble