Old September 12th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

Default OT Sept. 11, 2001 a remembrance

I can't remember much of what I was doing, watching TV outof boredom I
think, then this newsflash came on, with footage of the first tower in
flames. As I watched, in total disbelief, still unsure whether I was
watching real life or a movie, another plane appeared out of no-where, and
accompanied by the horrifying cries of everyone watching, ploughed into the
second tower. I felt totally numb. Six months before I had been in Egypt,
and felt the tension towards the west there, and I remembered that while I
watched. I remember feeling completely numb, half expecting it to be a joke,
or a movie, it just didn't seem real. You could literally feel everything
change. I had expected some kind of conflict to erupt in my lifetime, as we
have had it really lucky for ages,(compared historically with other eras...I
was studying history at the time) and sooner or later someone always starts
it. But this was the most unexpected, unimaginable horror. Nothing like this
had ever happened, and it changed everything. I could see it changing the
whole American psyche, and a new side of the American people being
presented. And the poem was beautiful. we should never forget, or stop
remembering that day.
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
What a beautiful poem, Matthew, and what a heart-wrenching memory for you.
I live on the west coast, and woke up to the news on my clock radio. I
spent the day alternating hours glued to the TV with hours where I
couldn't bear to absorb any more on the subject, and just had to turn it
off. I didn't know anyone in that area, but it was still heart-wrenching.
My heart swelled with pride when I heard about the brave actions of the
passengers on United 93. I knew then that there will never be another
commercial plane hijacked in the United States, or probably in the world -
at least not in our lifetimes. Subsequent events have proved me right on
that score.

I seriously doubt if anyone was offended by your post. You did not make
it political, nor make any judgments. It was a thoughtful, caring post.

Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message
This is not political but since this is the 5 year remembrance for a day
the world we never forget I thought it appropriate to post a poem that
caught my attention

Sept. 11, 2001

Two Thousand One ~ Nine Eleven (2001-911)

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Three thousand plus arrive in heaven
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait

A bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, "Lets sit, lets chat"
They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
"I have a dream!" and once he did
The Newcomer said, "Your dream still lives."

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
"We're from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine"
The Newcomer said, "You died not in vain."

From a man on sticks one could hear
"The only thing we have to fear.
The Newcomer said, "We know the rest,
Trust us sir, we've passed that test."

"Courage doesn't hide in caves
You can't bury freedom, in a grave,"
The Newcomers had heard this voice before
A distinct Yankees twang from Hyannis port shores

A silence fell within the mist
Somehow the Newcomer knew that this
Meant time had come for her to say
What was in the hearts of the five thousand plus that day

"Back on Earth, we wrote reports,
Watched our children play in sports
Worked our gardens, sang our songs
Went to church and clipped coupons

We smiled, we laughed,
we cried, we fought
Unlike you, great we're not"

The tall man in the stovepipe hat
Stood and said, "Don't talk like that!
Look at your country, look and see
You died for freedom, just like me"

Then, before them all appeared a scene
Of rubbled streets and twisted beams
Death, destruction, smoke and dust
And people working just 'cause they must

Hauling ash, lifting stones,
Knee deep in hell, but not alone
"Look! Blackman, Whiteman, Brownman, Yellowman
Side by side helping their fellow man!"

So said Martin, as he watched the scene
"Even from nightmares, can be born a dream."
Down below three firemen raised
The colors high into ashen haze

The soldiers above had seen it before
On Iwo Jima back in '45
The man on sticks studied everything closely
Then shared his perceptions on what he saw mostly

"I see pain, I see tears,
I see sorrow -- but I don't see fear."
"You left behind husbands and wives
Daughters and sons and so many lives
Are suffering now because of this wrong
But look very closely. You're not really gone.

All of those people, even those who've never met you
All of their lives, they'll never forget you
Don't you see what has happened?
Don't you see what you've done?
You've brought them together, together as one.

With that the man in the stovepipe hat said
"Take my hand," and from there he led
Three thousand plus heroes, Newcomers to heaven
On this day, two thousand one, nine eleven

Author UNKNOWN (What a shame!)

5 years ago at the time of the first plane hit I was watching the news
already ready to start my day. Everyone thought it was just an airliner
accident. I prayed for the people in the tower. A dear friend called
me to tell me what happened he could not reach anyone else but his family
just me. He was right across from the towers literally right below the
south tower near the side where the second plane hit. I kept telling him
to get out of there get somewhere safe. When the second plane hit I
remember screaming NO at the TV scaring the hell out of the cats and my
family. I yelled him run God run now get the hell out of there. We were
both in tears on the phone. He was telling me to tell his family that he
loved them and we both thought he was going to die right there. I
remember the screams in the backgrounds, the shouts and his tears my
tears than silence. I remember holding on tight to my family praying to
all that was good please let them be ok. I tried calling back but only
got his voice mail I promised him his family would know that they were in
his thoughts.
I made so many phone calls that morning trying to find my family and
friends. I had a family member in a building near the towers we could
not find her and no one knew were she was. We were all glued to the TV
looking for answers when I saw the report on the pentagon attacks. I
fell to my knees saying no no n o for a cousin works in the building.
We could not find her for 14 hours. I called out for answers the only
answer I had was silence. No one could tell us anything no one had
answers. The rest of the day was glued to the TV sitting in silence
stunned, violated, nauseated, feeling the hatred, asking for forgiveness
for the hatred.

When the announcement of flight 93 came out I just sat there emotional
stunned.

I watched them pull some fire fighters out of the rubble and the first
call he did was to his mother to say "I am ok,I am sorry that I scared
you, I love you". I remembering saying thank you in a silent prayer

I watched the people; looking for my cousin, that had evacuated the
pentagon sitting in the field where a makeshift trama area had been made.
When the repost came in that there was still people trapped inside and
everyone even the injured ones stood up and went running back to help.

I thought heroes all of them and prayed for them and their families when
the towers fell. I thought the world had ended

That evening I received the calls I had been praying for my friend had
made it out of the area he had to walk home many miles, My cousins was
stuck on the freeway for hours in the evacuation. We did not find our
other family member from the towers for 2 weeks. She is the type that
disappears for weeks at a time when she feels like it ( b@tch ).

I am sorry if this offends anyone but after 5 years I had to get this
off my chest. Today in remembrance all I could do is shed tears at the 4
moments of silence. Wear a american flag pin to show support. Drive
with my headlights on all day. To give a smile to the person as I held
the door for them. To make sure I said thank you and you are welcome
with a smile on my face.
To makes sure heroes are remember somehow some way a small way to say
thank you. You are not forgotten

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11