Old June 26th 04, 02:39 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", ".oO rach Oo."
artfully composed this
message within
on 25 Jun 2004:

Their preference is tuna but may go with the
odd salmon offering of cat food. After hearing about the FUS
rish because of ash, I tried them on a few meat based foods and
they won't eat it! What can I do??

What has worked for me with two of my three cats is to offer both
the usual food and a new food in separate bowls, so I set out three
bowls of food for two cats, and yes you're going to waste some food
in the beginning. I gave them sort of a kitty buffet, gradually
offering less in the bowl of the undesirable food. I still do it
from time to time to try to entice a better food. Sometimes they'll
eat all of the usual food, then some of the new, sometimes none of
the old and all of the new, then back again to the old. I also add
hot water to the new to make it warmer and it makes a broth that
usually gets lapped up if nothing else. Just a way to get them to
try something new. I only buy cat food in the 3oz size cans because
they don't like leftovers, and when I have to throw some out, it
isn't much. I should also say that my cats don't free-feed[1] so
whatever they can eat during the meal is all they get until the
next meal.

[1] Except for my semi-feral who won't eat canned food at all.
She's paired up with one of my males during the day when I'm at
work, who doesn't eat between morning and evening meals, so she's
free to graze her carefully measured out dry food. The oldest male
has IBD and dry food messes with his tummy. None have food out
during the night.

--
Cheryl