Old February 10th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Kitty doesn't take to strangers

On Feb 9, 7:16*pm, wrote:

I have no idea what to do. *I need suggestions and would appreciate
any advice on how to calm her down or at the very least keep her
mentally unscathed from these soon to be visitors.

Keep them apart. Period. Focus on keeping the cat in a safe and secure
place (as the cat defines it) while the kids are around. Warn the
parent(s) of the kids, warn the kids. Repeat as needed.

Eventually the kids will get older. Eventually the cat will learn that
the kids are not a direct threat. But this will _NOT_ happen
overnight.

Funny thing, our big guy (16 pound Maine Coon) absolutely dotes on
kids and will allow no end of abuse from them - well, he was raised
with a golden retriever - up to and including grabbing and (minor)
tail-pulling (which he has always enjoyed since a very young kitten).
But let an adult try it and it is an entirely different story. Our
grands were over most of Sunday (2/2/5) and he was right in the middle
of them for most of that time. We supervised the entire time to make
sure that the kids did not go too far, and we also showed them that
the younger cat, although more playful did not like being picked up or
carried. So, just as our kids learned, they are learning how to play
with cats at a very young age - and that all cats are different. Now,
the 2 & 5 year old brother and sister have just gotten a kitten of
their own after their parents saw them with our two on several
occasions. That kitten (named Bob) will lead a very good life.

Patience. Your cat may never fully relax around the kids, but she will
learn to adjust once she establishes that they are no direct threat.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA