Old February 9th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave Whiley

Default URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...

DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?

As far as I know, the only thing the *law* requires is that anyone who
practises as a veterinary surgeon must have a licence, which in turn means
that they have to be approved by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
(http://www.rcvs.org.uk).

See Guide to Professional Conduct, which does require vets to "take steps"
to provide 24hr cover for any species they normally treat during office
hours - this might involve an arrangement with another practice or a locum,
but it certainly sounds as though they should have cover. Dealing with
failure to provide cover is probably a matter of internal discipline rather
than law..

Talking to Cats Protection seems like a good idea, Citizens Advice Bureau or
Trading Standards might be able to offer advice too - there might be a
remedy in civil law.

[I Am Not A Lawyer, so everything above is just my opinion!]

But the really important thing is that Lilly's problems get sorted out -
virtual purrs on their way.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname