Old March 22nd 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Tweed - OT chickens

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
b.com...

It made me sick to do it as I like all animals. I did not want to
have the foxes shot, but needs must. Something will need to be done
about city foxes by the government soon. My problem is that I live 5
miles from a city and the vermin controllers trap them in the city
and let them out two or three fields away from my house. Then they
have a problem, no discarded fish and chips or McDonalds. Then they
get hungry and because they have no idea how to hunt in the
countryside they make themselves a nuisance around my chickens, and
then they find themselves at foxy RB. Sad, isn't it? We need a fox
control programme in our cities which doesn't involve letting them
out *in the countryside* in the hope they can survive. ~They can't.

I rarely see foxes here, but a couple of years ago I saw one across the
street in a neighbors yard. Beautiful animals! But then, I don't have
chickens that would need protection from them, so my view is different
from your deserved one. I do agree with you that it's cruel to set
them free where they have no experience hunting for food.

They are very nice to look at. That's most of the problem.
It's why people feed them and then when they become a nuisance they ask
vermin controllers to come in to trap them alive, which they do.
Unfortunately most city vermin men don't have the gonads to kill them in the
traps so they let them out near people like myself on the edge of the
countryside. Oh, thank you *so* much. They are more up for wasps, mice and
woodworm and should refuse the job of controlling nuisance foxes.
It became pointless to even try to keep chickens here unless in Fort
Knox-type runs and huts.

after Foxman & myself had sent 39 foxes to RB in my catch alive trap, he
said "you are getting them released from the city"

Worst one was a huge butterball fat fox in my trap. In my hen run having
been dumped near here. I found him in the morning, curled up happily in the
trap and he hardly raised his eyebrow when he saw me, he was expecting some
breakfast from me, like "oh thank goodness you have come.."
Just let's say he didn't get his breakfast and it's the fault of people who
feed them.
I felt, well, imagine it for yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~
Do you think it would help to write a letter to whatever department is
responsible for trapping them within the city? Let them know what a
nuisance foxes are when they are released in the countryside, and also
describe the fate that awaits them. Of course, I am also familiar with how
private citizens within the city will often take little cats and dogs and
release them in the country. I live in the city now, but this was a problem
for us when I was growing up in the country. There was one year when *13*
cats and kittens were dumped in our front yard. People seem to assume that
those who live in the country have "plenty of room" for them, but most
animals that are dumped that way are destined for a painful death. We fed
the cats that were abandoned in that way, but most do not. By the end of
that summer, all the cats except our own died because one of them had
brought in disease, so only our vaccinated cats were protected. We could
not afford to vaccinate all the cats that had been abandoned.

MaryL