Old October 28th 03, 03:04 AM
Marek Williams

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:55:41 -0500, "Hank" dijo:

Thanks Liz, these are the kind of comments I'm looking for.

But if there is no rain or other moisture there will be no
decomposition and no generation of methane, beyond an infinitesimal
amount. Ditto for the smell and other problems.

The toxoplasma might become an issue, but I don't know enough about it
to venture an opinion. Most harmful bugs cannot survive in a dry
environment, and also die if not kept within a specific temperature
range. If the cat is infected then it would seem to me you would be
even more at risk when the cat is upstairs sleeping in your lap.

As for not smelling it, I have a very sensitive nose and sometimes my
cat's poop doesn't smell strongly at all. But if he eats garbage from
the neighbors he can be a real stinker. As long as the smell isn't a
problem upstairs, I wouldn't worry about it.

Having said that, if you ever develop a leak in your plumbing and this
area becomes flooded, look out!

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.