Old December 1st 03, 05:53 AM
Karen

in article , Sheri at
wrote on 11/30/03 9:23 PM:

I am facing a real dilemma with a stray cat that hangs out near my
apartment complex. He's part of a local trap-neuter-return program. I
had decided to adopt him because some of the people who live here hate
cats and have made threats to harm them. He likes people so I figured
he'd be the easiest target for these psychos. On Dec 18th, I'm leaving
this town and moving back home with my parents to work work part-time
and search for a job. They have 9 cats so we always test any new cats
for contagious disease. Unfortunately the vet called me and told me
this little guy is positive for FIV. My parents feel it is just too
risky to put him in the household with the others, who are indoors
only but not declawed. There are frequent skirmishes and the sight of
blood is not unusual. Just last week one ended up at the vet with a
deep bite wound. I know this disease isn't easily transmitted, but
even though their 9 cats are neutered, they are still a very rowdy
bunch.

Does anyone know of a no-kill shelter that would take this cat? (I'm
in eastern NC but would drive out of state if I had to). Does anyone
know of an individual who has another FIV+ cat that could possibly
take him? Also, is there a chance that the test was wrong? It was a
quick test (ELISA ??) ... could it have given a false positive? He's
at least 2 years old according to people who've lived here longer than
me, and as far as I know was not given the FIV vaccine. I think the
trap-neuter-return people just gave the most basic shots. I cried most
of Thanksgiving about this. I just wish I weren't moving home, but
it's an economic necessity. I can't have pets in this apartment, so I
had to just put him back out in his favorite mulch bed. He seems happy
now, but the thought of him ending up cold, sick, and alone just kills
me. The thought of him being abused is even worse ...

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want to give up on him. Right now,
he looks so completely healthy that I could not bear to have him
euthanized, especially since I've heard that FIV is something many
cats can live normal lifespans with. Many never develop devastating
full-blown AIDS like humans as long as they're indoors and well cared
for, right??

Thanks,

Sheri

Sheri, the quick test can produce false positives. He should have another
done. Time is a factor though. They can live decent life spans with a good
stress free environment. I don't believe a big move and 9 cats would be too
stress free. When are you moving?

karen