Old December 1st 03, 01:30 PM
Charles M

In article , Kalyahna wrote:

"Sheri" wrote in message
Unfortunately the vet called me and told me
this little guy is positive for FIV.

Does anyone know of a no-kill shelter that would take this cat? (I'm
in eastern NC but would drive out of state if I had to). Does anyone
know of an individual who has another FIV+ cat that could possibly
take him? Also, is there a chance that the test was wrong? It was a
quick test (ELISA ??) ... could it have given a false positive? He's
at least 2 years old according to people who've lived here longer than
me, and as far as I know was not given the FIV vaccine.

As far as I know, FIV tests are pretty sure-fire once the cat is beyond 6
months. It's always a good idea to get it done a second time, just to be
sure (as false positives do happen).

Huh, is this what you meant to say? Do you mean, test are "sure-fire" or
"false positves do happen"? Can't be both.

snip