Old September 2nd 05, 12:44 PM
Phil P.

"bill o via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for support and any advice or kind words regarding my

situation.
My cat is 21 years of age and over the past week I took her to the vet to

see
what was going on with her. Turns out she has a mass in her stomach area

and
it's to the point where it's pushing on her intestines. This slows the
ability of the stomach to release its contents into the intestines. The

vet
suggested we just wait for the blockage to get worse and forget about

trying
to treat her because of her age and other health issues. I would have to
agree with her but she has been in the family so long and I feel like I
should make every attempt at remedy. One remedy was to start her on anti-
biotics and other medicine. She wasn't handling it well. I'm wondering

if
surgery to remove the mass is futile. Or perhaps some procedure to allow

for
better flow from the stomach to the intestines. Perhaps I am trying to be

in
denial. Thanks for your messages in advance. Bill

Has the mass been definitively diagnosed as cancer? If so, is there any
evidence of metastasis? If a definitive diagnosis hasn't been reached, your
vet may be able to obtain cell samples via a minimally invasive fine-needle
aspirate- depending on the location of the mass.

As far as surgical and anesthetic risks are concerned, the cat's age is not
as important as her general condition and the anesthesiologist's and
surgeon's skill and experience with geriatric cats. Recent advancements in
anesthetic protocols and surgical techniques for geriatric cats have
dramatically reduced the risks.

You didn't mention what her 'other health issues' are, so I can only speak
generally. If its a solitary mass and there's no evidence of metastasis, I
would probably have it removed. If it has metastasized, I probably wouldn't
and I would just try to make her as comfortable as possible for as long as
her quality of life remained good. I wouldn't let her suffer or
deteriorate; I'd want her to leave this world the same way she entered it-
with dignity.

I wish you and your cat the very best of luck,

Phil