Old September 2nd 05, 02:13 PM
Juls

In article , "bill o via CatKB.com"
wrote:

Thanks for writing. The Vet did not obtain cell samples to see what the
growth was. She did mention doing that but after she performed the barium
test she determined that it was time to just let Punky live out the rest of
her life as comfortable as possible.

The Vet also believes she has a thyroid problem and she just briefly
mentioned "other medical issues". I suppose I could call the Vet to see if
there is any hope to reduce the mass without surgery. I would think cell
samples would tell us that. I'm at odds with myself because on one hand I
feel I should trust the Vet's diagnosis and on the other hand I feel like she
mey be ending the discovery process too soon. Bill

Ah, Bill, I'm so sorry to hear about all of this.

I can totally relate to your dilemna of wanting to trust your vet, yet
having other information and wanting to do everything you could for
your guy. What helped me was saying "my friend went through a very
similar situation, and he tried some other things which were....could
we try that too?"

She was *very* open to it, and even called the food company and talked
to them about it. (Unfortunately, I believe she got a dingbat on the
phone, and my plan was to discuss in person at the next appointment,
but things played out a different way.)

Trust your intstincts and do what you think is right.

Juls

Phil P. wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for support and any advice or kind words regarding my
situation.

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
better flow from the stomach to the intestines. Perhaps I am trying to be
in
denial. Thanks for your messages in advance. Bill

Has the mass been definitively diagnosed as cancer? If so, is there any
evidence of metastasis? If a definitive diagnosis hasn't been reached, your
vet may be able to obtain cell samples via a minimally invasive fine-needle
aspirate- depending on the location of the mass.

As far as surgical and anesthetic risks are concerned, the cat's age is not
as important as her general condition and the anesthesiologist's and
surgeon's skill and experience with geriatric cats. Recent advancements in
anesthetic protocols and surgical techniques for geriatric cats have
dramatically reduced the risks.

You didn't mention what her 'other health issues' are, so I can only speak
generally. If its a solitary mass and there's no evidence of metastasis, I
would probably have it removed. If it has metastasized, I probably wouldn't
and I would just try to make her as comfortable as possible for as long as
her quality of life remained good. I wouldn't let her suffer or
deteriorate; I'd want her to leave this world the same way she entered it-
with dignity.

I wish you and your cat the very best of luck,

Phil

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i