Old September 2nd 05, 02:53 PM
Phil P.

"bill o via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Thanks for writing. The Vet did not obtain cell samples to see what the
growth was. She did mention doing that but after she performed the barium
test she determined that it was time to just let Punky live out the rest

of
her life as comfortable as possible.

Her pessimism may be based on her unfamiliarity with surgery and anesthesia
in geriatric cats rather than on your cat's actual condition. This is why a
second opinion from a vet who is experienced with surgery and anesthesia in
older cats is so important.

The Vet also believes she has a thyroid problem and she just briefly
mentioned "other medical issues".

That's rather vague. I'd want a more thorough explanation and a complete
blood workup, including T4 for thyroid function, urinalysis, and BP to
determine how well all her organ systems are functioning. The results of
these tests might make your decision much easier either way. I couldn't
make any decision on basis of just chronologic age. I've seen young cats
with organ system dysfunction typical of geriatric cats and geriatric cats
with organ systems more typical of younger cats. For instance, my 19 year
old's and 5 year-old's serum chemistries are almost identical.

I suppose I could call the Vet to see if
there is any hope to reduce the mass without surgery. I would think cell
samples would tell us that. I'm at odds with myself because on one hand I
feel I should trust the Vet's diagnosis and on the other hand I feel like

she
mey be ending the discovery process too soon. Bill

I wouldn't make any decisions until I got a definitive diagnosis and a
second opinion. Otherwise, I'd be second-guessing whichever decision I made
every day for the rest of my life. Remember, your first loyalty is to your
cat- not your vet.

My heart goes out to you- I truly understand you're dilemma.

Best of luck,

Phil