Old October 27th 05, 04:11 AM
Juls

Default Q for PhilP cat shelves

In article , "Phil P."
wrote:

"Juls" wrote in message
Hey Phil,

I'm going to go to Lowes either tomorrow or Friday to get a sheet of
MDF (3/4 inch) for another project I'm doing (building a desk). The
sheet they have is 4' by 8' so I'll have a lot of MDF left over.

First, do you think MDF would be okay to use for the cat wall shelves?
I know there's a slight leak of formaldehyde, so I'll seal it before
adding the carpet. (The carpet might seal it, but I'd rather play it
double safe)

You're gonna hate me- but I would never use MDF to build something a cat
would be on constantly- and probably even sleep on. Painting and sealing
the board may reduce the urea formaldehyde outgassing to acceptable levels
for humans- but not for cats. Their olfactory bulb is much larger in area
than a human's and their body mass is much less- so, even small amounts of
formaldehyde outgassing that are acceptable for humans could produce adverse
effects in cats. May- be not- but why take the chance when other safer,
stronger and inexpensive alternatives are available. You could probably
build two columns with window bridges from one sheet of 4' x 8', 3/4" luann
for $30.

Nope, don't hate you at all. I'll find uses for the rest of the MDF -
I've got an entire basement that can always use more shelves. What you
say makes sense about the formaldehyde, and I'd rather *not* take a
chance.

I have to confess I've never heard of Luann, and the Lowes lumber list
for my area only lists MDF, particle board, pine and fir. Is Luann a
kind of tree? I'm wondering if it might not be available in my area?
I'll call them tomorrow and ask.

After you have the shelving up and carpeting down, you can close in the
sides and front of a few levels with 1/8" or 1/4" luann to give the cats
hidey holes. If you close in a shelf- measure from the top of the shelf to
the bottom of the shelf below, and from the front edge to the wall for the
sides. The store will cut these for you also. Just tack the pieces to the
shelves with brads.

Jack and Jazz will love this.

snipped and printed

You'll need a drill to make the hole for the jigsaw blade.

I actually have a drill (I like projects), and was thinking about
buying a drill saw to cut a hole for the cords in my desk I'm making. I
thought I'd check prices and see how high they are...might come in
handy to have some.

Send me a picture when its finished!

Oh I will...you know I will.

Thanks so much for your help!!!