Old August 5th 03, 07:10 PM
E. R.

bewtifulfreak wrote:

I just spoke to our local pet shop guy today who's ever so nice, and we were
talking about the contents of cat foods, and he was saying when he was
looking to start his business about five years back and was taking a course,
he visited a cat food cannery (not one of the big names), and they told him
there is nicotine in nearly all canned cat food; that if you ask, they will
say it has some benefit to the cat, but it's really to just get them hooked
on their brand. Apparently, they all have different amounts, that is why
they sometimes balk when you change brands, it's not just the taste. He
says that was five years ago, so they may have stopped, but he can't see
them doing so. Is that *crazy*, or what??? I know they put sugar and
alcohol and a bunch of other stuff in cigarettes to make them even more
addictive, but it never dawned on me that they were doing it to pets, too!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Which makes you wonder if nicotine is intentionally placed in the foods that we
eat and this alone is leading to the problem of obesity. Who knows? It
wouldn't surprise me, either. Look at all of the boxed and processed foods for
sale in the supermarkets and how they compete for shelf space. Then there are
the junk food outlets like McDonald's, Burger King, etc.. Sometimes when eating
these foods or packaged, pre-made cookies, I can taste something strange and ash
like. What about the grains and feed fed to cows, pigs, and chickens? More
possibility of nicotine here.

Is "Ash" a typical ingredient in some cat foods, in fact, nicotine? Hill's
Science Diet dry food for kittens has 7% Ash. I checked some cans of Friskies
and no Ash was found in the listing of ingredients. Can somebody explain the
presence of Ash in one brand of cat food, but not in another?