Old March 24th 14, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default The Missing

Matsav wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message

... On my first trip to England, an Englishman taught me an easy way to
convert Celsius to Fahrenheit in my head. Double the Celsius figure,
subtract 10% and add 32. In other words, take 44 C, double it (88),
subtract 10% (88 - 9 = 79, add 32 (79 + 32 = 111.

If you want to be more precise, the algebraic formulae for conversions are

C = (5/9)*(F-32)

and

F = (9*C/5)+32

Doubling and then subtracting 10% is the same as multiplying by 9, but
is simpler to do in one's head.

When all I care about is a ballpark figure, I just double it and add 32.
For low temps, it's not too far off. Doesn't work for fevers, though.

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster