Old August 6th 03, 12:54 AM
bewtifulfreak

"Orchid" wrote in message
om...
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:10:25 -0400, "E. R."
wrote:

Which makes you wonder if nicotine is intentionally placed in the foods

that we
eat and this alone is leading to the problem of obesity. Who knows? It
wouldn't surprise me, either. Look at all of the boxed and processed

foods for
sale in the supermarkets and how they compete for shelf space. Then

there are
the junk food outlets like McDonald's, Burger King, etc.. Sometimes when

eating
these foods or packaged, pre-made cookies, I can taste something strange

and ash
like.

Ye gods. Any other conspiracy theories you'd like to espouse?
The Secret Service offing JFK? Aliens?
It has been very well-documented that we form our eating
habits before the age of two. It is, in essence, when we are taught
what is food and good and what isn't. Raise a kid on processed crap,
and they will crave processed crap. It's the whole idea of comfort
food.

Absolutely. But I did hear (but again, I can't remember the source, so
can't confirm it) that - since, the more empty calories we eat, the more the
body eats looking for nutrients (e.g. why potato chips/crisps are so
moreish) - supposedly-healthy breakfast bars were leaving nutrients out of
their product so people would want to eat more than one. This kind of thing
is common; I know for a *fact* (you can look this one up) that there is
sugar and alcohol in cigarettes to make them even more addictive. This guy
had no reason to lie to me, he's ever so nice (has given us many free
samples in the past, etc); as he said, they may not be doing it now, but
they were at the time. But I'm not for suing McDonald's because your kid
got fat on it, or blaming anyone else for your (or *my*) obesity; I don't
think we can blame anything the food companies do 'alone' for the problem of
obesity, though they certainly do their damndest to contribute. I'm just
for being educated about what you put in your body. I mean, a lot of people
aren't even aware that many foods packaged as 'low fat' are also extremely
high in sugar, which clearly isn't good for you, either. I wasn't trying to
start or encourage a conspiracy theory, I just thought it was something to
think about. I'm sure it would be very easy to verify whether it was true
or not, with a bit of research; he seemed to feel the pet food companies
would be open about it, though they claim there is a nutritional reason for
it.

Ann