Old November 3rd 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default Can cats consume lactose-free milk?

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:32:06 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

m...

John F. Eldredge wrote:

Cats can digest milk as kittens; the problem is that many (perhaps
all) of them eventually stop producing the enzyme needed to digest
lactose. Most humans have the same problem. As far as I know, the
ability to continue digesting lactose into adulthood is mostly limited
to those of European or South Asian ancestry, and even some of those
folks develop the lactose-intolerance.

I think you have the least lactose intolerance among residents of
Scandinavia, Germany, the UK and Northern Europe because milk is still
a common beverage for adults in those areas. France and Italy
certainly use enough dairy products like cheese, but wine is more
likely to be the adult beverage of choice with meals.

Unless we're talking about with breakfast, wine is certainly my beverage
of choice with dinner I do drink a lot of milk and love snacking on
good cheeses, though, so thank goodness I never became lactose
intolerant!

Jill

It is my understanding that most South Asians (from India, Pakistan,
etc.) can also continue to digest milk into adulthood. From what I have
read, many Hindus who won't eat any form of meat, for religious reasons,
don't have any religious objections to drinking milk and consuming other
milk products such as yogurt, so it serves as an important protein source
for them.

--
John F. Eldredge --