Old March 3rd 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Kenzie update

"Joy" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Mar 3, 1:46 pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

I JUST got to work after taking Kenzie to see TED. In 9 months, Kenzie
has lost a little over a pound ( 1/2 kilogram)

But TED said she could feel Kenzie's thyroid; she said that's not
normal.

So, after listening to *sombody* trying for OVER 30 minutes to get
blood (Kenzie crying all that time, LOUDLY; is was horrible to listen
to), they are going to send out blood for thyroid function tests.

So considering that Kenzie is somewhere between 13 and 14, it could
have been much worse: her kidneys are OK; that's what I was worried
about.

So I'm just going to hope that TED was right, since treating her
thyroid is relatively easily; except for pilling Kenzie *shudder*.

I should get the test back in 24 hours.

Thank you so much for your purrs and prayers

BTW: TED said Kenzie acted like a 'typical' calico cat, but she still
thinks she's very pretty.

I'll post the test results as soon as possible. My computer at home
pretty much died last night; but I can use the computer at work.
(Google groups really bites! But it's better than nothing.)

Bad luck does seem to come in threes: my water heater died less than 2
weeks ago ($800USD), my computer is trying to become a door stop, and
Kenzie is sick.

Kenzie is the most important to me, of course. And I could have gotten
MUCH worse news.

While I was at TED's, a woman brought in a *beautiful* long hair
tuxedo kitty. She was told that her cat's kidneys were completely shut
down.

Her cat went to the Bridge, while I was there today I feel so bad
for her; her cat wasn't even 10 years old.

Purrs for Kenzie and you, and for the woman who lost her cat.

Have you ever given Kenzie liquid medication? Lindy is virtually
impossible
to pill, but she gets her thyroid medication (and now a couple of
others) in
liquid form, and it's relatively easy to get it down her. In fact, if I
forget it's time, she usually reminds me. She may go under a chair or
table
while I'm fixing the dose, but she's never where I can't reach her. Of
course the fact that I give her some canned food after the medicine
might
have something to do with it. In any case, unless you know that doesn't
work any better, if she does need thyroid medication, you might ask for
it
in liquid form.

Joy

I didn't know it was available in liquid form. Thank you for the
information!

Gandalf

You're welcome. If she needs it, I hope she takes it as well as Lindy
does. I don't even have to force her mouth open. I hold her, tip her head
back, and she opens her mouth. Good luck!

Joy

Yep, with liquids you don't have to pry her teeth open, you can just inject
it into her cheek. I *always* ask if the medication they're given comes in
liquid form.

Hugs,

CatNipped