Old August 15th 03, 07:38 AM
Da Koster Katz

Expounding a bit more about the changes at news.cis.dfn.de for those who
are interested and don't know about it.......

Cory wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:16:46 -0700, Da Koster Katz said...

We'ze heer, GM! Meowmie haz been wurkin lotsnlots, but wuddnt yu no,
tuniyte, wen she haz tyme tu let uz meow, da hisspittin noossufur wuz
offlion. Day hadda powur owtage in Berlin. But itz bak up now.

OH!!! Is *that* what happened??? Hmmm... Funny... I switched news
server names, to the new news.individual.net, and things started working
again right away, so I thought they just changed over to the new name and
I missed it somehow. FWIW, I did go to the website and they did say that
they were going to start using the new name LAST WEEK, so, like I said, I
just figured that that was what the problem was and I had a brain fart
about it.

Since I first heard about the name change (quite by accident - did you
get an email announcement?) I have been checking out posts on
alt.free.newsservers. That's where I saw the announcement that Berlin
had an outage, and that the Freie Uni. of Berlin servers were offline.
They were working again last night. (BTW, postings to a.f.n. about
news.individual.net will be prefixed with [Individual] to make them
easier to find).

As for the name change from news.cis.dfn.de to news.individual.net:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...bcb73f3&rnum=7

is the original announcement made to alt.free.newsservers about the name
change. You can also check out the same announcement at:

http://news.cis.dfn.de/namechange-en.html

They state "Existing configurations will continue to work without the
need for modification because the technical separation of services will
take place internally on the server-side."

I checked in further threads on alt.free.newsservers, and TPTB did state
that eventually everyone WILL have to make the name change, but they
don't have a specific timeline for this. OTOH, I don't think that
changing now is a bad idea - I did it last night. Simply went into my
news.cis.dfn.de configuration and substituted news.individual.net.
Worked like a charm. Current usernames and passwords for the cis.dfn.de
server will work on the individual.net server - no need to reregister.

--- Onyx (and Unca Cory)

Anti Joan, wif purrmishyun uf da Koster Katz

--
****Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.****

Koster Katz: http://www.willapabay.org/~seabreez
RPCC Glossary: http://www.willapabay.org/~seabreez/glossary.html