Old July 5th 11, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default OT Swimming in the ocean off of Florida

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

This is not that far away and good dang reason I dam sure don't swim in
water that I can't see the bottom

SEBASTIAN INLET, Fla. -- A diver may have had a brush with a great white
shark off Sebastian Inlet in Brevard County -- and the close encounter was
caught on video.

The diver posted the video, recorded about 170 feet below the surface, on
YouTube after he spotted the shark last week while hunting for Amberjack
with a spear gun.

The video shows what appears to be a great white just feet in front of the
diver before the fish swims away.

Marine biologists said the mystery fish has a lot of similarities with a
great white but they can't be sure if the fish was that type of shark.

Great white sharks can grow to more than 15 feet in length while weighing
more than 1,500 pounds

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/284...107012011&ts=H

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise, and I snorkeled in Roatan,
Honduras. Fortunately, my experience was much tamer than that. The water
there is crystal clear, so we could see every detail clear down to the
bottom. We swam from the beach to the reef instead of snorkeling from a
boat. I had intended to snorkel in Belize, but the water was too rough for
the ship even to stay in port--that was the one stop on our itinerary where
there was no gangway into a port. Instead, we would have used ship's
tenders to get to shore. Tropical Storm Arlene was just starting to cause
problems, and waves were strong enough that it would have been dangerous to
use the tenders. I was in Figi in January, so I know exactly what they
meant by saying it would have been dangerous. In both cases, we actually
had beautiful weather but considerable roughness in the sea. In Figi, we
were taken to a little island and they *should not* have done so. It was
incredibly dangerous when we had to get off the tender and back on the ship
later that afternoon--the two boats were slamming against each other, and we
easily could have lost an arm or a leg (or a life).

MaryL