Old August 17th 11, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Feeding Time

"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:38:33 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Mack A. Damia wrote:

I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.

Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses

eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.

She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.

Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can

now
in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
on the can.

Thanks!

Currently FF is 50cents/can at Petsmart. It's also possible to find

sites
that
will sell you a coupon that nets you about 4/5cents per can for about

8
cans.

It's also possible to order the stuff online for cheaper than 70 cents

can
even including shipping.

My cats will eat some varieties of pate, but mostly prefer the stuff

with
gravy/sauce

Thanks.

Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can at Albertson's in California. I guess
that's why it's more expensive. I found it on sale at Target for 50
cents a can, so I have been stocking up. I'll check out your other
suggestions.

My main gripe is knowing if I'm buying pate or chunky/gravy style. The
cans aren't always clear about this.

The texture is stated in the yellow band on the bottom of the label on

the
front of the can.. The "Classic" line of Fancy Feast diets are pate.
Grilled, Sliced, and Roasted lines are smaller pieces in gravy. The
"Chunky" line are larger pieces in gravy. The same flavors come in
different textures, i.e.: Grilled Chicken, Sliced Chicken, Roasted

Chicken,
and Chicken Classic (Pate). Some of lines have the same or similar color
labels so you've gotta read the labels.

Thanks for the information; I didn't know, although I now see
"Classic". Didn't realize those were the pate style. She gobbles the
chunky varieties.

Texture is more important than taste for a lot of cats. The easiest way to
determine what a cat likes is to put down a smorgasbord of 5 or 6 flavors
and textures and see which she prefers. It may seem expensive but in the
long run its cheaper and easier than trying a lot of different diets one at
a time.