Old June 1st 12, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default She Bit Me!

On Thu, 31 May 2012 23:04:33 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

Buster's a bit like that. He sometimes gets a bit panicky when picked up, I
think because he doesn't like having his legs unsupported. He's kicked me
in the chest before, in his struggle to find a foothold. He likes being
held though.

Could you hold him in such a way that you do support his legs? I pick up
Roxy when I'm actually carrying her someplace (she doesn't seem to mind
that as much), and I usually have one of my arms around her back and the
other under her butt. Her upper body is over my shoulder and her legs are
against my torso. That seems to give every part of her something to rest
on/against.

When he's held, his legs are supported. When he's being picked up though, I
typically have one hand under each armpit, and his back legs are dangling.

However, I do have other pick-up techniques in my repertoire. I can pick
him up by putting one hand behind his back legs, and one hand in front of
his front legs. I can push him down on his side, then slide him up one of
my arms. I can kneel down low to his level, and stand him up with his front
paws against my shoulder.