Old February 26th 05, 12:26 AM
Christina Websell

Very quick top-posted reply because it's past my bedtime.
Nüle is a doctor with 6 years medical training who now chooses to practice
homeopathic medicine.
She is not a vet, but she knows how to interpret blood tests (she did one of
mine once when I couldn't get a decent reply about what this and this and
this meant from my own doctor) so just in case cats levels are similar to
humans - or at least what's normal or not is completely clear from what you
posted anyway, I have mailed Bandit's results to her to see if she thinks
there's anything to worry about.
If she doesn't feel competent enough to give an opinion, she will say so.
In that case you are no worse off, and if she does, you'll know one way or
the other.
Germany is an hour ahead of UK, so she will be fast asleep now. Which is
where I should be! She usually responds to medical questions reasonably
quickly, so I'll post as soon as she replies. Okay?

Tweed

"CatNipped" wrote in message
My 14-year-old (will be 15 on April 8), Bandit, just went in for a dental
cleaning today. She had just had a geriatric exam on December 12 and her
creatinine and BUN have gone up since then (the vet said she is not
concentrating her urine as well as when she was younger). I'm worried
that
these is (to me) a big jump in creatinine and BUN and that it is too high,
but the vet said these figures are normal for her age (and none of my cats
have ever been ill - Bandit is the oldest, so I know *NOTHING* about these
things).

To give anyone who is informed enough information, I'll post all her lab
results in case there are other things that need to be factored in, then
ask
my question at the bottom of this post.

From December 12, 2004: (What | Bandit's Values | Normal Range)

AST (SGOT) | 27 | 10 - 100 IU/L
ALT (SGPT) | 57 | 10 - 100 IU/L
Total Bilirubin | 0.1 | 0.1 - 0.4 mg/dL
Alkaline Phosphatase | 39 | 6 - 102 IU/L
GGT | 1 | 1 - 10 IU/L
Total Protein | 8.3 | 5.2 - 8.8 g/dL
Albumin | 3.7 | 2.5 - 3.9 g/dL
Globulin | 4.6 | 2.3 - 53 g/dL
A/G Ratio | 0.8 | 0.35 - 1.5
Cholesterol | 270 HIGH | 75 - 220 mg/dL
BUN | 36 | 14 - 36 mg/dL
Creatinine | 1.9 | 0.6 - 2.4 mg/dL
Phosphorus | 5.1 | 2.4 - 8.2 mg/dL
Calcium | 10.3 | 8.2 - 10.8 mg/dL
Glucose | 10.3 | 8.2 - 10.8 mg/dL
Amylase | 1206 HIGH | 100 - 1200 IU/L
Lipase | 111 | 0 - 205 IU/L
Sodium | 159 HIGH | 145 - 158 ,Eq/L
Potassium | 4.8 | 3.4 - 5.6 mEq/L
na/K Ratio | 33 | 32 - 41
Chloride | 122 | 104 - 128 mEq/L
CPK | 109 | 56 - 529 IU/L
Triglyceride | 93 | 25 - 160 mg/dL
Osmolality, Calculated | 338 HIGH | 299 - 330 mOSm/kg
Magnesium | 1.7 | 1.5 - 2.5 mEq/L
WBC | 10 | 3.5 - 16.0 10^3/uL (that's not a "u", but my keyboard can't
recreate that character)
RBC | 9.1 | 5.92 - 9.93 ^6/uL (the "^" means to the power of)
HGB | 13.3 | 9.3 - 15.9 g/dL
HCT | 46 | 29 - 48%
MCV | 51 | 37 - 61 fL
MCH | 14.6 | 11 - 21 pg
MCHC | 29 LOW | 30 - 38%
Comment | RBC MORPHOLOGY NORMAL
Neutrophils | 51 | 35 - 75%
Absolute Neutrophils | 5100 | 2500 - 8500 /uL
Lymphocytes | 44 | 20 - 45%
Absolute Lymphocytes | 4400 | 1200 - 8000/uL
Monocytes | 1 | 1 - 4%
Absolute Monocytes | 100 | 0 - 600/uL
Eosinophils | 4 | 2 - 12 %
Absolute Eosinophils | 400 | 0 - 1000/uL
Basophils | 0 | 0 - 1%
Absolute Basophils | 0 | 0 - 150/uL
Platelate Estimate | Adequate
T4 (RIA) | 2.12 | 0.8 - 4.0 ug/dL
FeLV (ELISA) | Negative | Negative ANTIGEN
FIV (ELISA) | Negative | Negative ELISA
[Urine]
Color | Yellow
Appearance | Clear
Specific Gravity | 1.03 | 1.015 - 1.060
Ph | 6 | 5.5 - 7.0
Protein | Negative | Negative
Glucose-Strip | Negative | Negative
Ketones | Negative | Negative
Bilirubin | Negative | Negative
Occult Blood | Negative | Negative
WBC/HPF | None | 0 - 3
RBC/HPF | None | 0 - 3
Casts/LPF | None Observed | Hyaline 0 - 3
Crystals/HPF | None Observed
Squamous Eptihelia/HPF | None Observed | None - Few
Bacteria | None Observed | None Observed
Renal Epithelia/HPF | None Observed | None - Rare
Transitional Epithelia/HPF | None Observed | None - Rare

From today: (What | Bandit's Values | Normal Range)

ALKP | 45 | 14 - 111 U/L
ALT | 47 | 12 - 130 U/L
BUN | 36.9 HIGH | 16.0 - 36.0 mg/dL
Creatinine | 2.8 HIGH | 0.8 - 2.4 mg/dL
Glucose | 109 | 76 - 145 mg/dL
TP | 7.2 | 5.7 - 8.9 g/dL
[Hematology]
WBC | 6.76 | 5.50 - 19.50 K/uL
Lymphocytes | 2.73 | 0.40 - 6.80 K/uL
Monocytes | 0.54 | 0.15 - 1.70 K/uL
Neutrophils | 3.08 | 2.50 - 12.50 K/uL
Eosinophils | 0.37 | 0.10 - 0.79 K/uL
Basophils | 0.05 | 0.00 - 0.10 K/uL
% Lymphocytes | 40.3
% Monocytes | 7.9
% Neutrophils | 45.6
% Eosinophils | 5.5
% Basophils | 0.7
CHT | 32.5 | 30.0 - 45.0 %
RBC | 7.00 | 5.0 - 10.0 M/uL
HGB | 11.6 | 9.0 - 15.1 g/dL
RETIC 23.0 K/uL
% RETIC | 23.0 K/uL
MCV | 46.5 | 41.0 - 58.0 fL
RDW | 19.2 | 17.3 - 22.0 %
MCHC | 35.5 | 29.0 - 37.5 g/dL
MCH | 16.52 | 12.0 - 20.0 pg
PLT | 313 | 175 - 600 K/uL
MPV | 18.18 fL
PCT | 0.6%
PDW | 21.4%

OK, I need this tranlated into vet lab results for dummies 101 (Phil,
Kristi??). Seriously, I don't know from Adam, but it seems like that is a
pretty big jump in creatinine and BUN values in just a little over 2
months.
Am I wrong to be worried?

When Bandit got her results in December the vet told me to start her on SD
canned (she's had SD dry all her life and no problems before this). At
the
same time I got a Drinkwell fountain for her to encourage her to drink.

Do you think she should be on a prescription diet?

BTW, her teeth and gums were fine, just needed a good cleaning since it's
been about 3 - 4 years since the last time she had it done.

Any advice or opinions are gratefully welcomed.

Hugs,

CatNipped