Old February 26th 05, 12:57 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Kelly" wrote in message
.. .

I would certainly read up on chronic renal failure, but do not become
panicked. My brothers cat was diagnosed with CRF a year ago when she

was
14
and she is still going strong on a new diet (low protein kidney diet).

Like
your kitty, she's 15 this year. Her urea was 11.2 (normal high is 10.7)

and
her creatinine was 196 (high normal is 177). Your kitty, similar to my
brothers cat is only showing slightly elevated numbers. Do not become
stressed. CRF cats can live for years after diagnosis with proper
management. My brothers cat had her levels re-tested in December and
everything came back normal... so hopefully the diet is helping. I'm
surprised your vet didn't mention a diet change to a kidney diet.

Although
it is true that kidney problems are common in older cats, this by no

means
should be an indication that nothing should be done about it. Just my
opinion.

That's what I thought, but my vet said that most cats don't like the

kidney
diet food and she would rather see a cat eat regular food than not eat
kidney diet food.

Well, that *can* be true - it was of my CRF cats. Otoh, you could *try*
renal diet foods, & see if she likes any of them.

Cathy