Old August 12th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Vichissoise (or potato leek soup) (WAS: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes scheduled for sporge flood)

Joy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Lesley wrote:
On 10 Aug, 08:42, "jmcquown" wrote:
Try it served hot in the bread bowls I mentioned. Get four small
sourdough rounds. Cut a lid off the top, rather like you're
cutting a pumpkin

Sounds fantastic but what is sourdough? We don't have it over here I
think

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Oh dear. Well, it's um... a yeast bread made famous in San
Francisco. I've
actually no idea how to make it. I'm not a baker; I buy it
store-bought. Here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

You could use any small bowl-sized loaves of bread.

Jill

You can make your own sourdough starter, and make it from scratch. I
did, once. The problem is, you have to be someone who is willing to
bake at least once a week. The reason for that is, you have to feed
the starter weekly, to keep it alive. That means you add more flour
and, I think, water. (It's been a few decades) So you'd soon be
overrun by the stuff unless you take some of it out to bake with. It
makes good bread with a slightly sour taste. You can also use the
starter for other things like pancakes and even a chocolate cake. I
used to have the instructions for making the starter, and a bunch of
recipes. I'm sure anyone who is interested in going to all that work
could find instructions and recipes on the Internet.

Joy

A co-worker once gave me some sourdough "starter". You had to "feed" it on
a regular basis, rather like a cat G. It was more trouble than it was
worth and cats are more fun!

Back in my teens and 20's I used to bake bread frequently but I don't have
the strength in my hands to knead dough anymore and I don't own one of those
KitchenAid Mixers with dough hooks. Nor do I have a bread machine, which,
I'm told, will do the kneading for you. It's easier just to buy it at the
supermarket