Old July 6th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Default The bitties are he Good News and Bad News

Mischief wrote:

Poor little things. They are looking up at me with these questioning
eyes. They are so adorable, and i hope i can get them the care they
need.

purrs for both of them please!

Hi Kristi -

In my experience of fostering (*lots* of kittens and cats, mostly from
stressful situations), one main cause of diarrhoea in kittens is diet -
they have had an unsuitable diet, or too-rapid a change of diet, and
usually stress is compounding either of the above. Even in kittens that
seem happy and playful, they will still be very stressed by change of
environment, food etc. However it can also be caused by nasty bugs as
I'm sure you're aware. I would suggest avoiding contact with your 3
adult cats for the moment even if they are vaccinated.

I usually put them on dry kitten food such as Hills (free-feeding) and
offer them a very bland dish of cooked and cooled minced white chicken
meat or turkey meat, (or you can get chicken or turkey mince-cheaper)
bulked out with a small amount of cooked white rice, two or three times
a day to supplement this and get wet food into them. I would not give
them any wet kitten food until their tummies have settled down as it is
quite rich and may aggravate them.

I sometimes find that adding a sprinkling of powdered probiotic (we use
Lacto-B) onto the wet food speeds up the process of calming down their
systems.

Purrs coming over to them and you and hoping they feel much better soon.
Getting a flea treatment and fluids will certainly help I am sure.

HTH

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com