Old April 9th 11, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Probs with NIN

hopitus wrote:

On Apr 8, 8:02*pm, bast wrote:
hopitus wrote:

* I did not attend college
* only medical tech schools; lotsa Latin medical words, no Greek.

Really? I thought most medical terminology came straight from Greek words,
starting with the term "hippocratic". (Side question: what does an oath
of loyalty to high standards of medical practice have to do with horses?)

Maybe more modern medical terms come from latin, though. And you did work
in radiology.

Joyce

Interested in what you said here, I found a website of some weird dude
who has
written several books on word origins and one of them is medical
terminology.
He has a big chart and you click on a word to see its origin. Turns
out Latin is
the predominant origin but some are of Greek origin. He does not
mention
Hippocrates.
Radiology has its own lingo and pretty much it is a form of shorthand
for the
long medical terms for procedures, machinery, or diagnoses exclusive
to that
department.
Some radiology students have trouble catching on to the lingo and when
one of
them spouts out with the entire medical or technical term for
something going
on, everyone including the docs must force a straight face.
Here is an example: this monstrous therapy machine, a linear
accelerator, is
just called "the gantry" in radiology; I worked in "diagnostic". This
machine is
operated by some friends, who were in school with me yeaars ago; they
are
"therapy" techs; and treat patients, unlike finding out what is wrong
with them
like I did.

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/phot...1.jpg&pg=linac

Wow. That's not a diagnostic machine, is it? Looks more like it's used
for treatment. What exactly does it *do*? "Linear Accelerator" sounds like
something that might be used for studying particle physics.

Joyce

--
There is no alternative to being yourself.