Old March 20th 04, 07:47 PM
Hopitus2

Is there some big advantage these "swamp" things have over a/c? Less
electric bill? I don't know of any around here. My pal in SLC, Ut. had one
in her place when I visited and I like to have died of heat, but didn't tell
her I was uncomfortable. They are all over Denver, though.
Maybe it's the poor man's a/c, only useful in low-humidity areas? Humidity
is always near 100% here in south FL.

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
: No cluons were harmed when said:
:
: Poor Senyah! I hope she feels better soon. I'm glad she wasn't
: more seriously hurt. Bathtub falls can be pretty serious.
:
: I think she's trying to compete with the cats by adding her own
: distinctive markings (although I've never seen a purple cat, and never
: hope to see one... grin). It looks really frightening, but she isn't
: hobbling around too much, thank goodness.
:
: I think I'm hobbling around more than she is - I did follow the "lift
: with your legs, not your back" rule, but Senyah had her arms around my
: neck and shoulders so I could help her stand back up. As a result, my
: neck and shoulders are very sore.
:
: All this, after I have frequently told her "falling down is not
: allowed" (big grin).
:
: I've never heard of an apartment complex that can only have heat
: *or* AC, and that all apartments have the same thing at the same time.
: What happens during seasonal transitions, such as early spring or late
: fall, when the weather goes back and forth between warm and cold??
:
: Well, this complex has one big boiler, and one big "swamp cooler" (a
: giant evaporative-cooling thingy that sucks during times of high
: humidity). The water that has been run through the system is then
: piped to all the apartments, and a fan blown accross it to heat or
: cool the apartment. Sort of a glorified radiator system, I guess.
:
: Anyway, during the seasonal changes, it is really miserable here. I
: don't dare leave windows iopen at night, and any time that the windows
: are closed causes the room tempature to rapididly increase.
:
:
: Hugs and Purrs,
: Mark