Old March 21st 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Carpet and cats

wrote:

For many years now, we have used all-natural-fiber, vegetable-dye rugs
- spending several years in the Middle East helped expand that
collection nicely. Even inexpensive machine-made Turkish or Egyptian
carpets meet this standard over there. And although this is by no
means a suggestion or plug, IKEA sells a number of such carpets at
pretty decent prices. Surprisingly, even analine dyes are reasonably
safe when fully cured but quite toxic when fresh. So, the best
alternative after vegetable dyes. But the modern chemical dyes applied
to synthetic fibers are nasty things.

Too many words, I am sure - but there is no simple answer to that
question.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I pulled up the (very old) wall to wall, put down hardwood and tile and
now have a couple of wool area rugs, dyed with vegetable dyes. So far
the only problem is that the cats find them to be great fun to scratch
and the hand-tufting doesn't like that much. But I knew that would be
an issue and I don't really care. I've provided lots of scratchers in a
nice variety, so they have lots to scratch other than the carpets, but
they still like them. At least I know it won't hurt them.