Old February 14th 05, 10:08 AM
sarah

When anyone takes on a pet they should consider whether they can afford it
if it became chronically ill - but many people never do.

By the time it happens - the emotional bond is there.

Despite the best of intentions, circumstances can change - and perhaps
someone who would have willingly spent hundreds or even thousands - suddenly
cannot.

Part of pet ownership is planning for the unexpected - i.e. insurance or
savings. But even these may not be enough. If the money is not there then it
is not there - and unfortunately the pet, who may have made a full
recovery - ends up being put to sleep.

The very high cost of pet treatment means you are not a bad person. If you
have to draw the line and not spend any more on it then so be it. If pet
treatment were less expensive - this discussion may not be taking place.

Pets are not always an unnecessary luxury. For many people they are valuable
companions who give their owners hope in a bleak and lonely life and
something to live for. Pets have a recuperative part to play in the lives of
many humans - we owe it to our pets to develop schemes and find ways of
treating them when they are ill - without it breaking the bank.

sarah