Old March 17th 15, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default INDOOR Cats & Shots

On 2015-03-16 7:42 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

(snipped self)
2010. After that, though, I saw no reason to put her through getting
annual shots. Trips to the vet upset her enough.

Also, Persia always felt a little punky after the shots. Even when she
was a young cat they made her feel bad. By the time she had the isotope
treatment for hyperthyroidism (she was allergic to the medication)
she was approximately 12.

So, after that I chose not to take her in for annual shots. I really
didn't want my sweet senior cat to feel yukky for 24 hours simply to
satisfy some regulation. That's my 2 cents on the issue of indoor only
cat vaccinations.

Jill

I don't think indoor cats need vaccinations. What sort of illness can
they get?

Kittens, especially as they're exposed to new places and new people and
animals as they are found a home, are susceptible to a couple of really
devastating contagious illnesses - it's been a long time since I had a
kitten, and I don't remember the name. Rabies, if you live in an areas
in which it is endemic, is so serious that all animals should be
vaccinated. Even an indoor cat might slip out and be exposed.

I don't know a thing about kittens. I do know all the cats and kittens
at the local shelter have their shots. At an appropriate age they are
also spayed or neutered and when you adopt one they are microchipped.

Jill