Old January 6th 04, 11:50 PM
GovtLawyer

That's OK. Because pets exist to give their owners pleasure,
enjoyment, self-gratification. It's not important if the cat is
suffering or is being deprived, as long as it's owner feels he/she is
doing the right thing for the cat. The welfare of the human is
infinitely more important than the welfare of the animal. That's how
it works whether you like it or not.

Yes, I agree, pets exist to give their owners pleasure. Surely, that is why I
have two cats. The latter part of your analysis is flawed. It does matter, to
any decent caring humane pet owner what his pet is feeling. The welfare of the
animal is of paramount importance; I took a huge responsibility when I decided
to imprison two cats in my home. I think I have met that responsibility with
flying colors. They will live a much richer and healthier life with me as a
responsible owner than if I were some sort of a demented naturalist who simply
opened the door for his pet to come and go as he pleased.