Old April 26th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sharon

Default Aggressive cat - long winded post (sorry)

Hi,

Thanks very much for your posts..

Ginger is de-sexed and microchip. There are so many cats around our
neighbourhood, finding Ginger a new home will be almost impossible.
Especially with her volatile nature.

The link that "Noon Cat Nick" sent is excellent and now added to my
bookmarks. It has a few suggestions that I will try. I

Once again, thanks everyone for your posts.

Sharon.

"Noon Cat Nick" wrote in message
Sharon wrote:

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.
My nephew had to go interstate so left me his female cat. She is only 4
years old and in very good health.
However, I already have two beautiful cats who are inside cats only.
Anyway, I introduced "Ginger" to them.... that didn't go well. Ginger
hates them and would appear to hate all cats.
So Ginger became an outside cat, while my girls remain inside cats and
the three very rarely met. But about two months ago my neighbours poor
starving pregnant cat started hanging around for food. As she looked so
sickly I began to feed her. That was okay because the mother cat lived
on the carport roof, Ginger on the ground. Until the mother cat had her
kittens and started coming into the backyard looking for food and I think
a new home.
Ginger has had a fit.. she growls, yells, screams... if I try to pick
her up she bites me, takes swipes at me and she is getting a lot worse.
Last night it was raining so I tried to bring Ginger into the sunroom and
she went crazy. I just don't know what to do.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Sharon.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression.html

It would also appear, from your description, that Ginger needs to live as
the only cat in her household/territory. Obviously that's opposite of your
current situation.

If you haven't already, ask your nephew about what Ginger's disposition
was before you took her in.

You might also do well to have her checked out by a vet, to rule out any
physical maladies that might be causing her aggression. Put on a pair of
thick gloves, get her in a carrier, and see what the vet can determine
and/or recommend.

HTH.