Old December 4th 03, 10:02 AM
JP Hobbs

Makes me sick to the stomache just to think of it
someone should put her in a shelter and throw away
the key. J. P.
Magic Mood Jeep© wrote in message
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/2678796/detail.html

Dozens Of Dead Cats Removed From Woman's Garage
Animal Shelter Workers Stunned By Neglect Case
POSTED: 10:08 a.m. EST December 3, 2003
RENSSELAER, Ind. -- Officials at Jasper County's animal shelter were
reviewing pet adoption procedures after authorities removed nearly 50 dead
cats from the garage of a woman who offered to help find new homes for
animals.
"We love these animals," shelter employee Karen Adams said Tuesday. "We
thought we were doing a favor by letting them go with her, never dreaming
... we thought we were saving lives."
Prosecutors in LaPorte County charged Kathy Shotsberger, 45, of Michigan
City, with seven counts of animal neglect. She was released Monday on $300
bond. She could face up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine on each
count if convicted.
The Associated Press was unable to contact Shotsberger for comment
Wednesday. There was no number under her name in published listings for
Michigan City, and she was believed to be staying with her mother in
Chicago.
Police arrested Shotsberger on Sunday after officers found cages full of
dead cats, birds and rabbits stacked throughout her garage. In a nearby
modular home officers found 29 live animals, mostly beagles, inside cages

or
locked in rooms with floors soaked in waste.
Some of the cages had been loaned to Shotsberger by workers at the Jasper
County shelter in Rensselaer.
Director Paula Wilcox said Shotsberger first took four dogs and 21 cats

from
the shelter in April 2002 with the understanding that she would find new
owners for the animals. She last visited the shelter on Nov. 20, when she
was allowed to leave with six cats. She was not charged a fee.
"It's hard to believe what happened," said Wilcox, one of two workers at

the
northwest Indiana shelter. "We didn't suspect anything. Kathy had been

here
many times."
Adams said Shotsberger returned to the shelter frequently, bringing orders
for specific animals she said she could place with families in her area.
Authorities said it appeared Shotsberger was taking the animals home and
leaving them in cages without food or water. Police said she apparently
became overwhelmed by the number of animals in her care.
Wilcox said she and Adams may begin checking with other animal shelters

and
police to see if they had received any complaints before releasing animals
to rescue groups. But with a staff of two and one animal control officer,
such procedures could be time-consuming.
Shotsberger also adopted two beagles from the Porter County animal shelter
on separate occasions about three years ago, said Sandy Ogle, its

director.
"That's the only contact we had with her," she said.

--
The ONE and ONLY

former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©