Old June 21st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Momma and Kittens living in Hedge= Help!

Thank you! I acutally took a book out onto the grass today and put out wet
food for Momma- she wanted to come eat it so bad- but I was there- after much
discussion (she meowwed a lot) and me not really paying her any mind she
came onto the patio and chowed down on the food. I'll keep doing this and
hopefully she will let kitties come out to eat too. Thanks for the process :-
)

WorththeWait wrote:
Any tips on catching them by hand?

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
Amy
Mukilteo WA

Hand catching takes longer, but is often less traumatic... they have to
become used to your presence as a neutral object. Spend time on the patio,
but don't look at them or call them. Just sit there, with the food & water
out, read, work your flowerboxes (If you have them!), etc. Be calm, move
slowly, you know the drill. It takes time, but eventually they will stop
seeing you as a potential threat, and come close enough for you to catch them.
If you're willing to wait longer than that, you may even tame the kittens to
be held & petted w/o too much trouble.