Old December 12th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

Default Cats and a candlelight dinner

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ha! That sounds so cute, sitting proper in their chairs. Glad you had a
nice evening. What concert did you attend?

It was a solo series concert that featured the principal trombonist of the
Calgary Philharmonic and some pieces with trombone quartet. It's amazing
when you look at the training of these guys - Julliard, Eastman, McGill, and
variety of graduate studies as well. It's so hard to make a living and such
a demanding job after all that time and energy. I don't regret leaving
music in that sense at all. He did a great job and the quartet was
particularly good. Years ago, I went to music school with one of them and
dated him for a while too. It's such a close-knit group - musicians. No
matter who it is in the field that you run into there is no doubt that they
will know at least 10 people that you do in Canada!

He talked about how the trombone has all kinds of ancient repertoire written
for it (sagbutt, or sackbutt, depending on who you talk to) because it was
the first brass instrument that was able to play chromatics due to its
slide. My instrument, the french horn, didn't get valves and easy
chromatics until the late 1800's and they didn't catch on really until the
1900's. Watching them flail around with their slides on the weekend made me
think that valves were worth waiting for :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester