Old March 23rd 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Feeling pretty crappy ...

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

You know how cats are picky eaters?

Well, when Oscar started refusing her wet food, I figured it was
because I'd given her dry food while we went on several overnight
trips. I know that she loves kibble, so I figured she was just
holding out for the dry stuff.

Except she was losing weight. Well, a lot of cats lose some weight in
the spring time ... I monitored her behavior carefully, and while she
was eating only a few bites of her food, she was still energetic,
clear-eyed, got the zoomies, etc. She didn't seem like a cat who was
suffering from starvation or any other illness, except that she was
getting pretty skinny.

I even tried poking a few kibble into her wet food to stimulate her
appetite; not much luck.

Well, this weekend, I finally went and bought some other flavors of
wet food, to see if maybe it was just this flavor.

As soon as I served up something other than the cans I'd been feeding
her, she fell to like a lumberjack eating a hearty meal of pancakes
before a long day's work. Or maybe like a starving cat.

Now I feel really sh*tty because I should have realized that something
was wrong. Oscar's an indoor kitty, so it's not like she can go
hunting if she doesn't like the meals.

I had thought she'd eaten this flavor she's rejecting before, but now
I'm thinking I misremembered. I got it because it's not seafood --
she much prefers the seafood, and I worry about mercury. She's pretty
impressed with a pheasant food (I would never have guessed that, but
the lady at my pet store gave me a free can to try), but that has rice
in it, and I try to stay away from carb-y foods for her ...

Sigh. Monique, cat-starver =/

You couldn't have known that, Monique! I guess Oscar just needed a
change in her diet.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek